Friday, September 25, 2009

Marathon Champs 2009

Hmmm...

I've had better races but was still pleased I stuck it out to finish despite chronic back pain after about 20k into the race. Don't know what triggered it, maybe even trying to move my weighty Kurt Kinetic trainer around at home with disregard to my delicate back, doh!. So to be able to battle on through the race meant getting off the bike every 15 or so k's to do a yoga session on the side of the track. It's not great for you're race time though. And it showed in my 5hrs51min race time. Disappointing.
All the masters of the masters category were there, Wornes, John, McColl, McCrory, Williams and me ol' (friendly) nemesis McGrath. The start was off, as expected, to a solid pace on the undulating fire road. As I kept telling myself to start a little slower, ride my own pace and finish faster for a change, I let go of the lead group a bit.
But after the slippery in places, paddock section the ol' back started to come back to haunt me.
The course was much better than last years with much more single track and less frickn bitumen. Always good for a MTB race. A gold stamp to the organisers for this years course.
Ride, pain, more pain, stretch, repeat, repeat, repeat. (excuses, excuses, excuses)
13th place in Masters - grrrrrrr...

Core exercises for me I think.

Oh well, let's move on....

Next?

Gravity 12hr?

I'm comin' to gitcha.

No comments:

Post a Comment