Monday, April 26, 2010

Tour of Coleraine - ouch!!!



My doubts about racing in B grade were legitimate. A tough 94k first stage on Saturday with 40k winds and some steep pinchy climbs. I was dropped (with quite a few others) after 25k, worked with one rider swapping turns for 10k then I took off on a climb to tt it until C grade caught up at 65k mark. I tucked in with the C grade bunch for a while, then thought it best to leave them alone and do the work with a couple of other (dropped) B graders until the end. With 1 stage down and 2 remaining, I was keen to bail out and head home. But after a hot shower and food, I decided to hang tough and race the crit. 20 laps? no problem! I felt ok for 10, struggled for 2 then beat myself up trying to not get lapped for the next 8 laps. Aaargh, I really wanted to go home now. But again, after a couple of hours of reflection, I was staying overnight to fight it out again for the 115k road stage tomorrow. A massage from Scooter and a very late dinner at the pub was my preparation for stage 3.
After Anzac day commemorations, the race was underway at 10.40 for B grade and I was able to hang in there until after the second KOM, about 45k's into the race. Working wih a few for another 10k. I gave it everything I had to keep consistent, solid pace but after a check of my heart rate, I was unable to get it over 154bpm. A sign that my weekend of racing was well and truely spent. I pulled out at the 71k mark as we went through Coleraine. Continuing for another 44k's would be pointless just in order to 'finish' the race. My race was finished. I gave it all I had. I should have raced C grade rather than try and survive B grade, sure, but it's all good race training and I'm sure the dividends will pay off down the track if I can keep it up.
Feeling sore today but happy for the experience, no matter how tough it was.

Average speed and heart rate details.
stage 1 - 32.45kph for 94km - heart rate avg 164
stage 2 - 39.22kph for 30km - heart rate avg 164
stage 3 - 33.52kph for 71km - heart rate avg 145

Tour of Coleraine - Stage 2 - crit photos

No comments:

Post a Comment